Monday, May 6, 2013

The Monday Morning Smoothie

The alarm is beeping in the next room.  I am past the age when I really need one anymore.  The internal alarm goes off by six no matter what day of the week it is. Even so, I set it last night in anticipation of a meeting that I have this morning.  After a rainy, lazy weekend of cooking, writing, and leisure time, I must face the office once more.

Monday is the day that we must put our best foot forward and push ourselves on out the door. It can set the tone for our entire work week, so getting off to a good start is important. I like to start the day with a smoothie composed of Greek yogurt, almond milk, and fruit.  I change it up from day to day. Today, I am using frozen peaches.  As I place them in the blender, I am reminded that Spring is finally here and summer days are on the horizon.  I daydream of fresh peaches and I see my future self wandering the streets at the farmer's market.  I can taste them, fresh and juicy, shipped in from Georgia.  I resolve to buy some and replenish my freezer supply.     

A few years ago I made the investment in a Vita-mix. I have never regretted it.  Each morning I churn out the smoothest of the smoothies in minutes.  The ice, fruit and low fat dairy mixture is a Monday morning staple. After all, everyday can't be creme brulee!

Tip of the day:  Try almond milk.  It is a fantastic source of calcium, 50 % more than dairy milk and has no saturated fat.  Not only is it great for smoothies, but it also works well for sauces and soups.   

My Smoothie Recipe:

  • 1/2 to 1 cup of fruit of your choice
  • 1 cup of almond milk
  • 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of ice
Optional: Add fruit juice or coconut water for a thinner mixture.


Instructions:

1. Place all ingredients in a blender or VitaMix.

2. Blend it up!

3. Make a toast to Monday, the arrival of Spring and to Summer days ahead!.



No comments:

Post a Comment